Chedworth Roman Villa is owned by the National Trust

Chedworth Roman Villa
Chedworth Roman Villa
Home
Facilities
What to see and do
Photographs
Group visits
Directions
About the National Trust
Links
 

About the National Trust

The National Trust is a registered charity and completely independent of Government, therefore The National Trust relies heavily on subscribing members (now numbering over 3.4 million), donations, legacies, other supporters and revenue raised from commercial operations.

The National Trust was founded in 1895 by three Victorian philanthropists - Miss Octavia Hill, Sir Robert Hunter and Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley. Concerned about the impact of uncontrolled development and industrialisation, they set up the Trust to act as a guardian for the nation in the acquisition and protection of threatened coastline, countryside and buildings.

More than a century later, the National Trust cares for over 248,000 hectares (612,000 acres) of beautiful countryside in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, plus more than 700 miles of coastline and more than 200 buildings and gardens of outstanding interest and importance.

Most of these properties are held in perpetuity and so their future protection is secure. The vast majority are open to visitors and the Ntional Trust are constantly looking at ways in which they can improve public access and on-site facilities.

The National Trust now has 3.4 million members and 43,000 volunteers. More than 12 million people visited National Trust "pay for entry" properties in 2004, while an estimated 50 million visited their open air properties.

The National Trust protect and open to the public over 300 historic houses and gardens and 49 industrial monuments and mills.

The National Trust also look after forests, woods, fens, beaches, farmland, downs, moorland, islands, archaeological remains, castles, nature reserves, villages - for ever, for everyone.
Source : National Trust web site

    Chedworth Roman Villa is owned by the National Trust. This is an independant guide to Chedworth Roman Villa based on visits to the site and material gathered from various sources